Re: New tech direction

Subject: Re: New tech direction
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:18:08 -0800
Data crunching is a real issue, Walt. The two firms doing the noise
studies for the National Park Service (Wyle and HMM&H) have typically
collected 22, 000 - 25,000 hrs PER PARK. Analyze that!

Stuart Gage, head of the Envirosonics lab at Mich. State Univ. has
launched a system that analyzes the audio data automatically.
http://www.cevl.msu.edu

Bernie

>Wild Sanctuary wrote:
>>  For work we're doing with the Nat. Park Service, we're in the process
>>  of assembling a prototype data storage package made up entirely of a
>>  series flash cards. The problem for the NPS was how to record for
>>  long periods of time, under variable weather and climates, using
>>  little power, with a system durable and inexpensive enough to do the
>>  job required with greatly reduced budgets. This system allows long
>>  periods (up to a week) of continuous recording stereo data at 16
>>  bit/44.1kHz. while using very little energy to drive the system since
>>  there are no moving parts. There have been many questions over the
>>  past several weeks regarding long periods of recording.
>
>Is this similar to Cornell's system? And, almost more crucial, will it,
>or plans, etc. be available publicly? So far, Cornell does not seem to
>be inclined to share.

In their stated primacy, why the hell should they? Ain't that the way
academics works?!!!!