Re: MP3 security problem; the role of backups

Subject: Re: MP3 security problem; the role of backups
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:58:46 -0500
Dear Folks:

Take to heart what Charles Bragg and Walt have said under another subject l=
ine!

At 05:13 PM 1/21/2003 -0500, Walt wrote:
>Marty Michener wrote:
> > Recordists who use XP:
> >
> > Yes, believe it or not, no hoax, under the worst conditions (a hacker
> > creates a malicious MP3 file which you DL from a web site) by merely
> > hovering your cursor over an MP3 file it could destroy your system
> files or
> > reformat your hard disc. <snip>
>
>I've come to believe that if you can imagine a way that a OS can mess up
>that Microsoft has put it in their OS. Nothing surprises me anymore,
>except that anyone still uses this OS. I'd expect at least a report or
>two of angry mobs rampaging through Microsoft's campus. Go to Seattle,
>cross Lake Washington on the 520 floating bridge, look to the right
>about a mile or so after the bridge for those of you wanting to join in.
>
>For those with macs, or unix this is no problem. Except I guess we will
>have to be nice to the cripple OS and keep name lengths short enough.

Actually, it is a hoax; I just posted it so you could feel good publicly as=

a Mac owner, Walt.  ;^)

>Marty, did you find out the hard way? And have you worked out just how
>long the name needs to be to set it off? I have data in the mp3's on my
>website, would hate to do this to anybody.
>
>Walt

No, it is a real bug.  And thanks for asking.   I subscribe to an emagazine=

called XPNews.  I don't think it is possible to put too long a name in this=

slot with any of my tools - e.g. Cool Edit Pro 2.0.

We all know some like to live dangerously, and that is the life I have
chosen, like mountain hiking and caving. But I have so far, knock on wood,=

in 18 years of using computers with chips designed solely by Intel on
systems designed solely by Microsoft, never had to learn anything "the hard=

way".  Usually it is a friend who has the hard way.  In this case I read
about it and immediately thought of all of us who use MP3's a lot as a
posting medium.

My in-practice everyday motto criterion has always been:
"Only backup work you would not want to have to redo."

Of course, when you are drawing with a mouse color illustrations of 2100
species of birds this criterion tends to happen more than once per day, and=

over the 8 years it took me to complete, I am proud to say that not one
species would ever have been lost due to a computer crash, disk
demagnetization, car crash, theft or house fire.  Yes, not even a
lightening bolt that was capable of destroying modems, routers, servers
and, yes, even tall Macs at a single bound, could even have put my bird
pictures out of business.

So, my advice to you, my friends, working on ONE computer every day,
(especially those of you who THINK you are NOT living dangerously):

                Backups, don't leave home without them.

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds=
.com

With computer data, paranoia is just good sense.