Re: Denecke AD20 vs SoundDevices MP2 (not a review)

Subject: Re: Denecke AD20 vs SoundDevices MP2 (not a review)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:50:00 -0500
Lang Elliott wrote:
> The sound-devices MP2 is a great preamp. It's the one I use. My only two
> complaints are:
>
> 1. As Walt mentioned, the LED's are too bright. I turn them off, but keep my
> eye on the overload LEDs when I am recording loud signals.

I'm keeping them on a good part of the time, but watching from off axis
where the brightness is less. They are eyeburners from straight on. I
have wondered how hard it would be to insert a little resistance in to
tone them down. Failing that I'll probably figure out a clip on filter
to tone them down.

Lang, are you using the MP2's limiter? Or just depending on the overload
indicators to tell you when to adjust? I've been running with the
limiter, but treating any indication from it like a overload.

> 2. My biggest complaint is that the volume controls are continuous pots,
> making it difficult in the dark to adjust the two controls and be certain
> they are balanced (you need to use a little flashlight to do this properly).
> I would much prefer click-stop controls that would hold their position. It
> is very easy in the field to accidentally brush against one of the volume
> controls, thus throwing off the channel balance.

So far I've been adjusting while watching the LED's or the indicator on
the Portadisc and that's given me good balance. I'm still fumbling
around about how to adjust a M/S setup. I prefer continuous pots. I
could check their setting with my headlamp, but don't expect to do so
much. Down here wandering around swamps at night without light is asking
for snakebite, so I always have my headlamp, though I try to keep it off
as much as possible.

I've not done it yet, but it should not be too hard to find a thin fiber
or rubber washer that could be slipped on the shaft between the knob and
the pot. That should provide enough friction to cut down on the
accidents considerably.

I also have the PortaBrace case made for the MP2, which makes it harder
to accidentally brush against the controls. I'm working on a way to
attach a auxiliary pocket to PortaBrace's case for the Portadisc that
will carry the MP2 in the same case with the Portadisc when I'm using
them together. Using the two in separate cases is a little more awkward.