Re: Surround

Subject: Re: Surround
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 14:51:12 -0600
Tom wrote:

>Just a brief one on surround. I have used a pair of M/S mics firing
>in opposite
>directions to produce a reasonably compact mic setup. Of course there are =
>whole bunch of phase issues that need to be sorted in post using this kind=
 of
>rig. But the results where very pleasing to the ear. I did a test running =
them
>live in a film dubbing theatre to get the spacings as good as possible and=
 had
>someone walk around/jump up and down and make noises as they walked around=
 the
>soundfield. A good 4.1 image was achieved. And I did take this rig into th=
>field. I ran two timecode locked portadats - the results were great but Wa=
lter
>is right it is a laborious process all in all.
>The other option is the soundfield system which is an array of capsules th=
at
>can record 7.1 channels the mic itself is relatively small and is easy to
>deploy effectively with speed but it requires a processing unit which is
>difficult to power in the field (this rig can of course be used for stereo
>recordings with very pleasing results) and needs 4 tracks on a recorder to
>record 7.1.
>The next issue is the recorder - I was not very happy lugging two timecode
>portadats around I can tell you! Computers even laptops are only good for
>static situations and are therefore not appropriate as a main rig. In the =
pro
>end of the market there are several multitrack location recorders due for
>release early in 2003. The cost of them is prohibitive for all who are not
>going to use them for professional apps. as well (=A37000+) but it may be
>interesting for you to check out the technology
>(HHB-Portadrive/Fostex-PD-6/Aaton-X?).
>As for commercial outlets for justifying the expense there is indeed a sma=
ll
>market in the film post world (sample CD.s) but it is a very small pond to=
 be
>jumping into!
>As an aside check out these PC's (I am a mac officianado...but?) in betwee=
>laptop and PDA's in size with a touchscreen input and running a full
>version of
>windows. Combine it with apogee's mini me and you might have the first
>practical computer based recorder.
>
>Anyhow it's all speculation...but the future is going to be fun!
>
>Best to all,
>Tom

Tom--
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I agree that its an enjoyable
set of challenges to sort out from portability to the final
presentation situations. I've tried 4 (non sync'd) stereo recorders
running in a large space, some m-s, some omni pairs. Of course, as
long as the channels remain discrete (not mixed) phase issues don't
really become a concern. When I did pan these recordings though, I
didn't get a lot of zipping or anything. It may be that the  beauty
of multiple field micing is less required posting/mixing.  The image
seems more inviting when the mics are well placed and not panned
around much. Of course, matched, full-range speakers all around
provide balance, whereas the commercial units are really front and
center systems with some off-screen percussive and lo Hz detailing. I
like the idea of portraying space reaching in all directions.  I'd
guess installations are the main route of exploration for a while,
though being able to use DVD to  create 5.1 playback can provide a
bridge to more main stream applications.  Will surround will really
help explore the ideas behind acoustic communications relevant to
this list? Perhaps so if it encourages more recording, listening.
Ways to make multi-channel field recording easier are key but, as
Walt suggests,  $ towards additional, high quality mics and preamps
might prove more useful than the $ towards an 8 track field recorder.
If one can't afford 6 or 8 low noise mics, getting close to the
sources has even more impact on quality. Distributing 4 MD/stereo mic
units around a pond is easier than running mic cable or using
wireless.   Maybe in five years, we'll have some pretty interesting
approaches to share though we may be visiting each others studios to
hear it.
Yours,
Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D