Re: Re:sharp MD models

Subject: Re: Re:sharp MD models
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 12:51:27 -0500
Tanya Nu wrote:

> I do not want sound activated recording. Unless thats an optional feature. I
> woudlnt want to deal with recording being cut off after four seconds of
> "silence".

I don't think there are any mainline MD recorders in which this is the
primary mode. I have that in my Portadisc, but almost never use it.
Useful for unattended monitoring if the site is otherwise quiet.

> I want to control the gain (minidisc.org implies that all Sharps have this
> feature, but that might not be so..)

This is made a issue of because Sharps allow you to change gain while
recording. Except for a few very recent models Sonys allow you to change
gain while in record pause, but not during record.

I have made the point that if you intend to do any post processing using
filters, etc. that running the gain around during record is going to
create problems with that. It's fairly easy to preset the gain correctly
with a little experience.

It is, btw, about the only "advantage" of sharps over Sonys.

> Can I have or do I need flexibility in mic type compatibility? Im thinking I
> can get away with battery powered condenser mics for now, but I recall
> reading somewhere that some models allow use of preamps and such while
> others do not...

Using a preamp means you need a line in to connect it to. Most models
have line in.

You can match a wide range of mics to a minidisc. Sometimes you may need
a external power supply, or even matching transformers (Sennheiser ME
mics work better with a matching transformer). But it's not hard to hook
mics to any of the MD that have mic inputs. Or, with a pre to the line
input.

> Finally, some models appear to be more ergonimcally practical than others.

Too true, they are really too small for convenient use. You end up
having to work out special ways of holding them to push the buttons. And
the tiny buttons have tiny switches under them, often the first thing to go.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:06 2005
Message: 3