Re: Inexpensive Microphones

Subject: Re: Inexpensive Microphones
From: "Rich Peet <>" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:35:04 -0000
Papa will defend the child a little here.

The Hemi in stereo looks like this before application of the food
strainer windshields:
http://home.attbi.com/~richpeet/hemistereo.jpg

The easy to carry and mount, cheap construction sounds like this:
A always hard and complex sound, the passing cars:
http://home.attbi.com/~richpeet/hemistereo.mp3

Rich Peet

--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> Dannie Carsen  wrote:
> > Thank you for your quick response! Walt, as you predicted, this
> > recording hobby is already expensive! I thought I was doing
alright
> > with a minidisc for around $100, and perhaps borrow the parabolic
for
> > a while to get started. I thought a stereo mike would be
> > nifty to capture soundscapes that might be nice to accompany
> > slideshows and play for general ambiance when I return home! That
> > Sony ECM-MS957 you suggested costs $185 on ebay! I think I'm
gonna
> > get that little electret microphone (I'll dig out the binder with
> > specs one of these days) powered up to use with the minidisc to
begin
> > with, I guess I need an amplifier attached to listen to the
> > birds before I record, or does the minidisc do that for me?
>
> The price of the Sony varies a lot from auction to auction on ebay,
I've
> seen that mic go for less than $100, but you might have to watch
quite a
> few auctions go by to find one that low.
>
> As Rich has suggested, you can build a "stereo" mic using
inexpensive
> mic capsules. The trade off is usually more mic self noise and
lower
> sensitivity, and less convenience. The difference between homemade
and
> the Sony is not a lot in these areas, but there is some. The Sony
will
> give you a more correctly defined stereo field than most homemade
> designs, however. You can also look at less expensive mics, but you
> should note that it will take very little time for you to find them
very
> limiting.
>
>   Self noise is one of the primary limiters in nature recording, at
> least in less expensive mics and recorders. The sound you want to
record
> has to be louder than the self noise by a significant amount if you
want
> it to be the primary thing people will notice in the recording. As
sound
> attenuates rapidly with distance this means that with higher self
noise
> you have to be closer, and whatever you are recording cannot be too
> quiet itself. Even very noisy mics can do some nature recording,
but
> this requirement of closeness is a problem when ambiance is
concerned.
> By it's very nature ambiance is fairly quiet, and is in all
directions,
> so you can't necessarily move closer.
>
> Good, lifelike ambiance will also need a well defined soundfield.
It
> needs to form a "image" for the listener. So, it's important to
have a
> stereo design that does this well. It is possible to form a
soundfield
> in mono, but the field will be far less convincing.
>
> The stereo field formed is also dependent on the final sound
> reproduction method. Your description of playing to a audience
watching
> pictures implies speakers rather than headphones. The various
binaural
> stereo techniques don't necessarily work well for this. They are
> designed to produce a small localized soundfield via headphones.
Through