Re: shure matching transformer

Subject: Re: shure matching transformer
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:00:56 -0800
David Kuhn, you wrote:

>  > A good US source for the Shure A96F
>>  transformer is www.bhphotovideo.com
>>  Price $36.  I ordered through their
>>  web site and received prompt delivery.
>>  The impedence match does increase the
>>  recording level quite noticeably when
>>  using my Sennheiser mic.
>>  --oryoki
>
>Aloha Listeners,
>I'm looking at these transformers to use with my two Senn ME-62 omni
>mics, until I can afford some better mic's. I would also need a Mixer
>(B&H suggests their AZCAM-3).

You don't need a mixer. You do need somebody to make up an adaptor
cable to connect the two transformer outputs to a stereo mini-plug
for the MD recorder.

>Q: If the transformers boost gain (~6dB?), is inherent mic noise also
>boosted? If so, what is the point, since I don't turn the gain up
>past around 3/4 on the MZR-50, and can normalize in CEPro?

Yes, it boosts the inherent mike noise, but chances are the
recorder's preamp noise is the dominant noise, so the transformer
gain before the preamp will give you lower noise overall.

>Q: Do the transformers and mixer also introduce noise into the system?

The transformers, no, transformers, like parabolic dishes, are "free
gain." The noise added by a mixer would depend on the quality of its
preamps; with a mixer you'd skip the mike pres in the recorder and
use its line input instead. I'd try the direct connection (mikes,
transformers, recorder) first to see what improvement you get that
way.

-Dan Dugan