Re: Advice for a new budding recordist.

Subject: Re: Advice for a new budding recordist.
From: "oryoki2000 <>" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 00:14:32 -0000
Haribal Meena <> wrote:

> ...As for recorders I was thinking of buying a
> minidisc recorder or an mp3 recorder, not very
> expensive one...

In the opinion of many recordists, the Sony MZ-R50
is a classic, very rugged and reliable.  I have two
R50s and they perform very well.  The R50 has a line
out port separate from the headphone out, which can
be useful if you want to attach your R50 directly
to amplified speakers.

Read more about the R50 here
http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R50.html

You can find used R50s on EBay for $100 to $150.
Make sure the item you're bidding on includes a
working lithium ion battery. A replacement battery
costs about $50.

When recording with a consumer-grade minidisc unit
with a quality microphone, it's a good idea to
purchase a gadget that more closely matches the
microphone output with the resistance level of the
minidisc input.  The result is a very noticeable
increase in the volume level of your recording,
as if you were standing a lot closer to the subject.
The Shure 96F matching transformer cable does this
job well.  It has the added benefit of providing an
XLR style connector for the microphone, and miniplug
connector for the minidisc. Cost is ~$55.
http://www.shure.com/accessories/a96f.asp

This is probably the cheapest way to start recording
with equipment that meets professional standards.
When the time comes, you'll be able to sell this
equipment on EBay for about what you paid for it.

--oryoki

ps.  Does the Nature Sound Society sierra recording
camp still use the University of San Francisco field
station near Yuba Pass?  I have fond memories of
my visit there, before the summit area was logged.