Re: Powering the Sound Devices MP-2

Subject: Re: Powering the Sound Devices MP-2
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:57:55 -0500
Rob Danielson wrote:
> Hi Zach--
> Right, 2-A's can go pretty fast. Maybe a little cheaper solution is
> to use the NIMH D cells by energizer or ray-o-vac. They are very
> light weight, recharge many times and the manuf charger runs about
> $25. I use a 5 D battery sled to power a DAT recorder, phantom mics
> and the Mp2. Depending on monitoring volume and operating temperature
> the package often goes 6 hours in the field.  Easy to carry along 5
> more D's.
> Rob D.

I'm not sure what cap the energizer or ray-o-vac NIMH are, but NIMH D's
are up to 8000 mAh and I've even seen a few 10,000 mAh ones.

It all boils down to a compromise between bulk and weight vs capacity. I
also saw a 12 volt 1200 mAh battery pac recently that was supposedly
made out of NIMH AA's. If the MP2 is drawing 50 mA, that's good for 20
hours or so.

I don't think using two AA alkalines is really very good, the energy
density of newer NIMH is much higher. You can get fairly usable time out
of two AA NIMH if you use the high capacity ones. That saves not only
bulk, but they go internal. And a replacement set is very small and light.

In my case I'm carrying a bunch of the NIMH AA's as my headlamps and the
Portadisc also use them. So, if I can, using AA's makes a lot of sense.

No matter what size, rechargables win over disposables, not just in
capacity, but in cost. I hate to think how many disposables I'd have
used in the last few years.

As Sound Devices point out, the actual time you get can be quite
variable. The primary components being the phantom power draw,
monitoring led setting, and headphone volume. So each person is going to
do a little different.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:03 2005
Message: 3