Re: recorder jacks

Subject: Re: recorder jacks
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:25:45 -0800
Gerald, you wrote,

>I am curious how the signal is being routed with the different jacks
>on audio recorders and players.  The mic jack of a recorder will
>send the signal to some sort of an amplifier I suppose.

Right, it's a specialized type of amplifier called a mike preamp.

>If you plug
>into the line-in jack would the signal be routed differently?

Always. Usually the line-in signal is substiuted for the output of
the mike preamp. With a mike input, the output of the mike preamp
goes to the volume control. With a line input, the input signal goes
directly to the volume control.

Some cheap equipment just uses a pad to lower the level of a line
level signal and puts it through the mike preamp. Pros hate that,
every stage of electronics adds something (noise, distortion) that
you don't want.

>What
>levels of sound would the respective jacks handle?

We talk about electrical signal levels, not sound levels. Sound
levels happen in air, before the microphone.

A mike input is a few millivolts, a few thousandths of Volt, AC. A
line input is around one Volt. The name "line" comes from telephone
line, in radio. A radio station would have to deal with mikes in the
studio, and signals on telephone lines from the network or remote
crews.

>Will the
>headphone jack have a level of signal that would compare with line-
>out?

Headphone output levels are similar to line levels and the phones out
can be used as a line out in a pinch. But the headphone output is
designed to drive a low-impedance load, phones are typically 40 ohms.
A line output is designed to drive medium to high impedance loads,
600 ohms and above.

>Are they routed the same?

No, the headphone output will have a little power amplifier to drive
the phones, a few milliwatts.

>Speaker jacks have probably been
>amplified to a stronger level.

That's right, speaker outputs are intended to drive very low
impedance loads, like 8 ohms. That takes a lot of current, and their
power output capability is measured in tens or hundreds of watts.

-Dan Dugan