Re: CD-R's

Subject: Re: CD-R's
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:28:43 +1000

Vicki Powys <>, on Tue, 26 Nov 2002 wrote:

> My Sony, Verbatim and TDK CDs are all made in Taiwan.  My German Emtec CDs
> are made in India, while the Kodak gold CDs are made in Mexico!  Yikes!

MusicLab here in Brisbane mentioned (in an email)  BASF MASTER grade of
cdrom, as having a ceramic coating which allows for writing on the label
area.

I haven't seen one.  Anybody know where they are made?  Not actually in
Germany, surely?

In '99, on a visit to Sydney, I forgot to take headphones with me.  Dropped
into an electronics shop to buy a pair.  Was eying the display seeking to
make a choice that reflected my need as emergency only but good enough to
continue to use without annoyance.  The salesman came up and said, "Let me
give you a tip: don't buy ("brand X").  They're made in Japan.  Buy
Sennheiser and you're assured of quality.  Made in Germany."

I pointed out to him the small print on the box, "Made in Ireland"!  (I
still bought them, however.)

Syd Curtis in Australia.