Re: Central Australia (reminiscing)

Subject: Re: Central Australia (reminiscing)
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:13:29 +1100
Walt,

Sounds like some trip you had!  November would have been getting quite hot,
but perhaps lots of wildflowers?  The old Ayers Rock campsite that you would
remember was closed and bulldozed years ago although there is a newer
visitors' centre near the Rock somewhere.  The main tourist camp is now
about 30 km from the Rock, known as Yulara Village if I recall correctly,
where there's a big airport, big hotels, big swimming pools, cabins, camping
area etc.  Hours of visiting the Rock and the Olgas are very restricted,
there's toll gates and such like.  The Rock is now known as Uluru and the
Olgas are Katajuta.  I have vowed never to climb the Rock again, last time
on my way back down I stepped over the body of a heart-attack victim.  No
wonder the local indigenous people don't like people clambering over the
Rock!  The kangaroo-tail formation is still closed to tourists, who mostly
seem to respect the 'keep out' signs.  But it's all a bit of a theme-park
these days, alas.  For those who have never been there though, the scenery
is awesome.  I've seen the Rock in heavy rain, with waterfalls rushing down
everywhere, just amazing!  The road west of the Olgas would probably still
be restricted, you would need a permit to travel through Aboriginal lands.

Vicki Powys
Australia