Re: sound as close to original as possible

Subject: Re: sound as close to original as possible
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:26:20 -0500
Dan Dugan wrote:
> Walt, you wrote,
>

>>Nature recording grew out of Scientific recording. It really first began
>>to be noticed by the general public only recently with the publication
>>of whale sounds being the first big push. We now have folks moving into
>>nature recording with no connection to science whatsoever. Many of these
>>come from the world of music recording, and bring their traditions with
>>them.
>

> What I really like about the Nature Sounds Society (this is a plug)
> is the variety of the participants. At our annual field recording
> workshop, we'll have:
>
> *Dedicated birders who want to learn how to record birds
> *Bio-acousticians teaching us about their specialties
> *Filmmakers who want to learn how to record nature
> *Musicians who combine nature sounds with their compositions
> *Radio documentary producers who want to learn how to record nature
> *National Park Service employees interested in natural quiet
>
> And more...the more the merrier!

The organization sounds very interesting every time I hear about it. It
is a bit of a drive from here to get to the meetings and workshops ;-)

What! No frog recordists? Sigh..

Nature recording is exactly that, a mixture of diverse interests. Trying
to organize it is like trying to organize sand.

I think a new group is going to emerge soon if it's not already. That's
the nature recordists that do it both visual and sound as a hobby. There
is a growing group of serious hobbyists in this field. The emerging
ability to put your video on DVD fairly simply is going to give it even
more push. I'm working on a CD of frogcalls, but I believe the future
will be a DVD of Georgia frogs, and I told the state folks that. I also
told them I was not willing to invest in the equipment to do it at this
point. I have video cameras, old ones now, and might fiddle a bit. And
our newest G4 has the software and hardware to handle the basics.
"Desktop publishing" video is now possible, think what that will do.

Right now most of the video folks are just discovering that there are
quality mic options.

This will be a seriously challenging hobby. Sooner or later I'll take
the plunge.