Re: Info for recording newbies (was: Cool Edit Users)

Subject: Re: Info for recording newbies (was: Cool Edit Users)
From: "evertveldhuis" <>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 00:35:39 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:
>We need our own rituals, not borrowed ones.

Walt

I get the impression that you do not see the similarities of nature
sounds and acoustic instruments. After all, what is the difference
between the sound of acoustic instuments and the music made by nature
(animals, plants, trees, wind, sea?)

For instance classical music and prog have the same huge dynamic
range
of certain nature sounds, organs can go pretty low (16 Hz) piano can
go very high. (Pedal) Slide guitar also.

Let you inspire by the acoustic instruments.

After all, they are not unnatural! (Electric amplyfied music is to
some degree, but the technique used with this can be inspiring, if
you mind is open enough; take the off-axis approach of the miced
guitar amp, the same was used with parabolics by some-one on this
list.)

And for the links I provided; they were about DAW.

Some info about mic technique give very usefull info, but a nature
recordist sometimes has to translate the given info into the
situation he / she encounters in the field. But the basiscs are not
only true, they give you plenty of variations that give you good info
that you can apply and experiment with.

It is a bit like driving a car; during the lessons you drive a car on
certain roads. If the lesson was learnt well, you can apply the same
driving skills with a different car on other roads under other
circumstances than during the lesson!

Regards Evert