RE: Cool Edit Users.

Subject: RE: Cool Edit Users.
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 19:17:36 -0700
Shaun

Just to get you started.  If you signal is not great (usual case and one
which makes nature recording much different from music recording) the first
thing I do is to amplify it.  I use the normalize function which makes the
loudest part at full volume.  Transform->amplitude->normalize.  The pk file=
are just to make the sounds load faster apparently into cool edit.  Do not
worry about them.  You can turn them off if you wish or nuke them at will.

Quick and dirty simple cleanup is to find out where your noise is (high or
low)  Look at the spectral view (View ->Spectral View)  Note the frequency
of the sounds you desire and the frequency of those you do not.  Use the
graphic equalizer to decrease the volume of those you do not when
(Transform -> Filters -> Graphic Equalizer)  You can also use the
Transform-> amplitude->amplify to do things like fade in and fade out.
Useful in making noise a little less noticeable.

There is a lot more to learn (most of it I do not know 8=3D))  but this sho=
uld
get you started.

Note for pure fun and fooling around do not miss the reverse button
(Transform -> reverse) (makes some things sound out of this world and reall=
does a number on narration) and the facility that allows you to lower the
pitch of your recordings - slow down the recordings so the pitch is a few
octaves lower and hear some neat things.  (Transform-> Time Pitch -> Stretc=

Have fun

Barb Beck
Edmonton