help zaxcom design a field recorder

Subject: help zaxcom design a field recorder
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 06:21:00 -0000
Field Recordists,
I found the following message posted to a forum for folks who record
live concerts.  It's an invitation from Zaxcom to help them design a
battery powered field recorder.  Speak up now and shape the future!

---------------

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?
Forum/technology/showmsg.mv+message=3D3124

From: howy stark <>=20

I am Director of Product Development (A.K.A. DSP engineer) at a small
company that makes high-end pro audio equipment for TV and Film
location recording. Our stuff is used on most big budget pictures
(star wars, matrix, MIBII etc...). With respect to the rules of this
group I will not mention my company name.

I recently posted a request for suggestions concerning a small 24bit
hard disk recorder product on rec.audio.pro titled "Request for
Criticism: (*Product Name Deleted*) Portable Hard Disk Recorder
Announcement".

The general idea is a small (1.5"x6"x6") 24bit hard disk recorder in
the $2000+ price range designed for the lower-end pro audio
recording market. It would contain stripped down technology from our
$10k to $15k recorders.

Rough specs may include: (your input is needed here)
 2 channels of 24bit AD/DA converters
 AES and SPDIF in/out
 Good mic preamps with basic mixing functionality (48V power?)
 Firewire for off-loading to an external DVD-R,CD-R, or PC/MAC
 24 bit uncompressed WAV or SD2 (ProTools) file export
 External power: 10 to 16V DC
 Internal: 4 AA cells (If size is not a concern we could
  use a standard NP1 battery instead)

Is $2000 to $3000 too much for this market? I would try to get the
list price down to $1995 but that's really pushing it. The products
I normally design fall into the "cost is no object" category.

thanks in advance for your criticism,
-howy