Re: MZ-R30 minidisc recorder

Subject: Re: MZ-R30 minidisc recorder
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:33:03 -0700
At 09:57 AM 10/25/2002, John Parks wrote:
>Hello again,
>             Things are finally taking shape, I have built a homemade
>parabolic mic using a 21" Telinga Dish and a ECM T-145 mic. With this
>i am planning on using an MZ-R30 minidisc recorder which i purchased
>from E-bay. I wasn't to delighted when i received the MZ-R30, first
>problem I found was that the rechargable LIP-12(h) was dead as could
>be, then i found that the recorder would not charge the said battery,
>another option was to use regular AA battries, but i did not receive
>a battery case that would snap onto the sie of the recorder and none
>of this stuff could be purchased here in Canada.

I have an extra charger and an extra battery case for the MZ-R30 that will=

fit your unit, as long as you haven't retrofitted stuff to the case that
precludes using the right stuff.

>... First i was getting what sounded like
>feed back, I was thinking that this was because of where my recorder
>was only about 2 feet from my dish, so I added a ten foot extension
>to move further from the dish.

Real feedback is the mic picking up it's own signal from the earphones - if=

the mic can "hear" the output of the earphones you'll get feedback. Move
the earphones away from the mic or turn down your earphone volume to solve=

this problem.

>This has gotten rid of the feedback
>sound but now I am getting a different sound which is hard to
>explain, it is like hiss or low hum, i was calling it the sound of
>silence, I am not sure. I was recording in Mono/Manual Recording with
>my rec level nearly max, I was wondering if it has anything to do
>with my recording level, i read some where that between 5 and 6 was a
>good setting for this recorder. Could someone please tell me what
>would be a good level.

I'd set the gain about half-way up in manual record on an MZ-R30. The hiss=

you hear is probably either microphone "self noise" - the electronic noise=

of the mic itself or it is actually there in the environment. This self
noise is what nature recordists are always trying to minimize. You can
minimize it by: 1. turning down the record level 2. adding a pre-amp to the=

signal chain (not likely to give you much with this setup 3. Buy lower
noise mics ($$).

>One last small thing, what would be something
>that i could used to cover my Telinga dish for wind protection and
>what could i use for a small mic which i have (that is very very
>sensative) for wind protection, I have no time to order anything for
>these because I am heading out on my first recording trip tommorrow
>and will be gone for up to three weeks?

Any sonically transparent cloth will help keep the wind from hitting the
mic element - I assume you have some windscreen  over the mic? Telinga
sells an excellent windscreen for the dish, when you get the time to order.

Good luck,

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Digitally Recorded Birds Sounds at: