Cetacean Acoustics

Subject: Cetacean Acoustics
From: Mark Fischer <>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:19:32 -0700
Dear Nature Recordists,

In the last couple of years I have been exploring whales and their
acoustics. On the way, I noticed that this is a very inter-disciplinary
subject, and information concerning it is few and far between. The
topic of cetacean acoustics covers a wide range of sciences, from marine
biology to signal processing, from the use of computers and hydrophones
in the field to the physics of sound propagation in the ocean. My hope
is that a public forum to share and discuss these things would be
helpful. To that end, I'm hoping that a discussion group dedicated to
this topic would be of use for students and researchers alike. I hope
you'll agree.

If you're interested, send mail to:

Or sign up online at

Cheers,