Re: Parabols and underwater?

Subject: Re: Parabols and underwater?
From: Drew Panko <>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:48:24 -0400
Klas,

I also have no experience but purely speculating:

There may be an interface problem as Walter correctly points out.
But you should get a good reflection from a metal surface (ie Sonar
detects subs well.)

The speed of sound is much higher in water (1500 m/s vs 330 m/s).

So the wavelength will be about 4 times longer for the same frequency.

Therefore the diameter of the parabola must be significantly larger
to capture the same range of frequencies.

Good Luck, and let us know what you find out.

Drew