Re: Re: web audio library

Subject: Re: Re: web audio library
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:12:53 -0400

Brian Boldt wrote:
> Rich,
>
> I agree, and am biased towards that type of recording myself. But as we a=
ll
> know the opportunities to get an extended, noise-free recording of a spec=
ies
> at good volume aren't always easy to come by, which is in part why John h=
as
> an uploaded and available collection in the hundreds and I don't!  The ma=
in
> reason I posted this is I thought it was nice to have another reasonably
> comprehensive source on the web for the Eastern US, as I know a lot of us=
 on
> the list get those "where can I find a recording of..." questions.

I believe it's called practical. And I'm always looking for sites like this=
.

> I believe he was able to gather these in little over a year, which is an
> impressive feet to me given the local nature of some of the species
> represented. I also know he doesn't have any illusions about the quality =
of
> some of the tracks; as landlord of the House of Unfinished Projects, I
> definitely have respect for the accomplishment. Now, back to editting
> tracks... or was I going to start building another dish? ;-)

The first ones are always easy, but when you get down to the last ones
it's amazing how much time it takes. If he managed this in a year, he
was very occupied.

When you start to assemble a collection like that to put before the
public, your recordings all suddenly sound awful. You want to toss them
and go out and make some good ones. But if there is a time limit, no
such luck.

Me, today it's editing. A whole day on American Toads and Brimley's
Chorus Frogs. Mostly the Toads. I like their call, but...

Now time for the Fowler's Toads to work me over. The database says 211
tracks have them. Hopefully some good ones...