Self noise

Subject: Self noise
From: "Brian M. Godfrey" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:26:04 -0700
   This will probably seem obvious once I know the answer: what is good self
noise, lower numbers or higher numbers?  I was reading about this Marshal
MXL2001 and one review said that 20db was kind of high self-noise.  I
noticed that AudioTechnica has a similar mic for the same price and its
self-noise is 12db.  I had actually considered using that one in another
parabolic that I'm thinking of building, but I'd like to know what to expect
of it before I buy.  I bought a Samson Mixpad (4, I think it is) and it
really introduces a lot of self-noise (if that same phrase can be used in a
mixer) into the recording.  It's not a problem in surf recording, but you
can really hear it when recording birds.  Obviously, self-noise isn't the
only thing to consider, but it's something that's effected me and that I
want to understand.
   Thanks,

--Brian M. Godfrey
  Wild Bird Shop, Cannon Beach, OR