Re: Self noise

Subject: Re: Self noise
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:51:36 -0500
Thanks for the clear explanation Walter!

Number-wise, my simplistic understanding is that mics capable of
excellent transparency (especially in low sound level environments
where high-gain is common) will almost always possess sensitivity
ratings higher than their self noise ratings.  For example, the
Sennhesier MKH-20 has 10 dB Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted) with
a Sensitivity of 25 mV/Pa+/- 1dB. The AKG 414 is 14/12-- only 4dB
more inherent noise but ~13dB less output.   The difference in
transparency in field recordings made with the two mics is dramatic.
Walter, know how sensitivity is measured? Something to do with the
gain required to achieve a certain output,..?
Rob D.

  = = = = =