Re: Anybody know much MZ-N1 or MZ-N707S/L?

Subject: Re: Anybody know much MZ-N1 or MZ-N707S/L?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:58:05 -0400
Aaron Ximm wrote:

> > reports of NetMD recorders refusing to copy the recording to the
> > computer because it did not originate from that particular computer. An=
> > some of those were mic recordings. So if it says NetMD, something to
> > make sure about. It was those reports I had in mind.
>
> I imagine it's a question of what your method is for transfering files...
>
> I use either a Sony component MD deck with SPDIF out (JB920) or my MD
> Transfer Editor utility build by EDL in the UK, which uses a Sony MDH-10
> drive to transfer over SCSI at 5x (actually, same date rate - it just
> transfers the compressed files and decompresses them at the PC!).

In this case we have a person talking in terms of just the recorder, no
extras. So we are limited to what can be done that way.

> I'm positive you can transfer tracks recorded on the NetMD decks through
> analog means, or via one of these means -- presumably, also using one of
> those USB-audio attachments the decks were shipping with before NetMD cam=
> out (Xitel?).  (Though, both of the techniques I use are only for the
> original 1x compression rate... neither the JB-920 or EDL solution
> supports MDLP.)

The USB audio attachments were one way, computer to MD.

Yes, it's very, very hard for them to stop analog transfer. Though you
want to check and see if the recorder has a line out. I don't think most
NetMD recorders have a line out option.

> By 'recorders refusing to copy...' do you mean using the USB
> ports on the decks or their docking stations, and the proprietary
> "jukebox" or whatever software that comes with those units?

I've not tested them, would not own one as I don't want to lend any
support to the idea behind them. I got the impression from the stuff I
read it was definitely impossible via the USB unless the song to be
transferred came from that computer. Not sure on other methods. I'd
expect analog was possible, even if it had to be from the headphone out.

All of this says that NetMD is adding information to the encoded track
if not encrypting it. Don't be so sure you can copy a NetMD track in a
usable form with your system. It's intended to prevent that sort of stuff.

> Personally, I'm holding out without upgrading for 2nd generation NetMD
> which rectifies these issues (ie, allows unlimited USB transfer -- ideall=
> at > 1x -- of recordings made by deck itself).  Fingers crossed...

I think that's highly unlikely, the NetMD is part of a larger plan to
sell us songs by the play. So opening it up to unlimited copying is not
the way it's headed. Sony is only one of the players in the game, this
was invented by and for the recording industry as I understood it. Yes,
Sony is part of that, but only part. I think under the current climate
you are unlikely to see any new form of unlimited digital out on
consumer MDs. In fact NetMD represents part of the move to limit copying
within computers as well. All that was part of the information provided
when NetMD was first announced. I've been a little surprised how few
read that stuff. It was mostly put out for stockholders and investors,
but was freely available.

It's long past time to remind some officials that quite a few other than
just the pros recording music make original recordings. We are at real
risk of losing any kind of consumer digital recorder for things like
nature recording. That will make the initial buy in for beginners very stee=
p.