Re: oktava's mics, any experience about them

Subject: Re: oktava's mics, any experience about them
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:53:37 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Which model(s)?  I saw that the low cost MC012 's were getting good
> comments on DAT Heads for live music and looked up some info on
> them,.. I believe the inherent noise was well above sensitivity so I
> stopped looking further. I've not had much luck getting low end
> clarity with large diaphram mics out, in open air.
> best--
> Rob D.

According to Michael Vladimirsky, the ones out of theirs he thought
might do best was the Omni from the 012 set, and a PZM, the Nevaton
CMC47 (which costs about $400). The latter has been used some in
tropical areas for nature recording. It works well as a pair with a
central plexi disk between for stereo according to Michael. The
components of the 012 set have a new and old version, I don't know
what's different.

I've a pair of Marshall MXL2001's that I plan to do some testing. So far
I've only recorded one mono bit with them. They spec at 20dBA for noise,
sensitivity at 15mV/Pa. With a 25mm diaphragm I guess they qualify as
large diaphragm.

The one recording was nice enough I'm going to try some more, it was
only 30 seconds worth. I ran that one with no low end cutoff, so it has
some noise, most of which was there.

I'm kind of hoping they might work well for the frogs in a thunderstorm
recording I want to make.

Anyway, I'm not giving up on large diaphragm yet.