Re: mayah flashman MP3

Subject: Re: mayah flashman MP3
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 20:34:08 -0000
Walter Knapp asked:

> ...Do you know if the flashman records mp3 Pro
> or any of the other newer mp3 formats coming out...?
> Is it recording fixed rate or VBR? ...

These questions are not answered directly in the literature
I've seen about the Mayah Flashman, but I think it's safe to
assume that if newer MP3 codecs like MP3Pro or VBR were
available then they would have been mentioned.

I give Mayah credit for including support of MP3 at 192Kbit
and 256Kbit resolution. The commonly used resolution is
128Kbit.  At 128Kbit, audio beyond 15Khz is poorly recorded.
At 256Kbit,audio to 20Khz is modeled pretty accurately.
Of course, 256Kbit takes twice as much storage space, making
it roughly equiivalent to ATRAC in file size (or about 5 times
smaller than a linear wav file) See
 http://www.fliptech.net/bitrate.shtml for graphs
illustrating MP3 performance at different bit rates.

Rather than newer versions of MP3, I'd like to see the
Flashman add a Fraunhofer AAC codec option, as used in
Quicktime 6 and MPEG-4.  Mayah already offers a software
AAC recorder for Windows so maybe it's possible.