Re: 2(4) bit question (was: mic pre with headphone out)

Subject: Re: 2(4) bit question (was: mic pre with headphone out)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:04:34 -0500
Walter wrote:
>Rob Danielson wrote:
>
>I doubt you would have a $1500 recorder that contained the equivalent of
>a $800 pre. Or if you did, some other part of the recorder would
>probably suffer.
>
>The Lundahls provide a sound you like. They change the sound in a way
>that's been declared good at the moment in certain groups. These sorts
>of things are as much custom and habit as absolutes. A change in what's
>the "in" sound could just as easily toss them out. Note I'm happy enough
>with their sound too. But in time those making them will quit, and we
>will still be able to record quality sound. I try to avoid getting too
>tied to specific equipment, lots of different equipment will do the job
>very well.
>
>>  Pres may become even more important. In theory, don't you think a
>>  good transparent pre --> 24 bit usb--> hard drive will impress us?
>  > Rob
>
>I'm not convinced that 24 bit is impressive all that much anyway. Or
>that usb will handle it well. To say nothing of amps, speakers,
>headphones, mics for input, etc.
>
>You might want to look at the thoughts of Bob Katz on 24 bit in the
>article I quoted:
>http://www.digido.com/integrated.html
>
>He's of the opinion that in terms of metering that it's being sometimes
>used incorrectly. That a lot of the 24 bit should become increased headroom.

Walter--
I think I see what Bob is getting at in relation to hot
signals/programs. Fairly frequently, I find myself  interested in
making the best recordings I can of very low level, distant sounds.
For such high-gain, field recording applications where DAT tape
saturation levels for background sounds can go as low as 2%, wouldn't
the extra bits in 24 bit recording would add some resolution? Right
now with 16 bits, when I boost/equalize one of these recordings to
create a background track, it seems like definition is limited by the
original which used only a fraction of the bits the recorder was
capable of. Of course, at such levels, noise is a big factor but even
better resolved noise is easier to work with,., Maybe I should also
considering using another amp in the field for even more gain?
Rob D.