Re: storing and preserving huge numbers of audio files... DVD ? HD ?

Subject: Re: storing and preserving huge numbers of audio files... DVD ? HD ?
From: "bbystrek" <>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 23:11:40 -0000
Gianni,

If the data does not have to be electronically accessible as a whole,
I would guess tape backups would be the best medium.  This is what my
company uses for 30 day rotating backups and permanent quarterly
backups of our multi terabyte cluster server.  Supposedly the cluster
server technology is nearly infinitely expandable.  I don't know too
much about the details or the major players in that market, but I
could find out from my local IT professionals if you would like.

Probably would get an excellent response to this sort of question
from a newsgroup based on LAN technology.  Either way, your certainly
in the territory of business class storage.  There are a large number
of data storage companies out there for exactly what you need.  No
idea what the fees would be, it probably depends on what sort of
access is required - speed, frequency, number of users, via internet
or private connection, etc.  It buys you professional management and
protection - data security, well who knows?  I'm sure it takes a lot
of research and some onsite visits.

If you don't mind me asking, and assuming that if you tell me you
won't have to kill me after, what do you do with such data?  Can it
be processed to some final more manageable form and then discard the
raw data.  If it's special interest research orientated data, perhaps
you could find a sponsor such as a large university.

Brian Bystrek

--- In  Gianni Pavan <> wrote:
> Hi all,
>       as I often do long acoustic surveys with towed arrays, I
collect huge
> amounts of acoustic data. In the latest cruise I recorded about
400GB of
> wav files in 1 hour cuts (1.4GB each at 16bits/96kHz). Every year I
collect
> about 1TB of data and in the next future I'll jump on multichannel
> recording! Managing and preserving such an amount of data is and
will be a
> challenge (and a cost!).
> What do you suggest ?  RAID arrays of Hard Disks ? Now the ATA100
Maxtor
> 80GB I used this year cost less than 200$ each. I could buy another
set for
> doing a safety copy; cheaper and easier than burning DVD-R disks.
Though,
> what about long term safety ?
>
> Next year very likely I'll use 160GB - or more - disks. And then ?
>
> I would like to have a RAID box with 4-8 hot swappable disks...
maybe