storing and preserving huge numbers of audio files... DVD ? HD ?

Subject: storing and preserving huge numbers of audio files... DVD ? HD ?
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 19:01:19 +0200
Hi all,
        as I often do long acoustic surveys with towed arrays, I collect huge
amounts of acoustic data. In the latest cruise I recorded about 400GB of
wav files in 1 hour cuts (1.4GB each at 16bits/96kHz). Every year I collect
about 1TB of data and in the next future I'll jump on multichannel
recording! Managing and preserving such an amount of data is and will be a
challenge (and a cost!).
What do you suggest ?  RAID arrays of Hard Disks ? Now the ATA100 Maxtor
80GB I used this year cost less than 200$ each. I could buy another set for
doing a safety copy; cheaper and easier than burning DVD-R disks. Though,
what about long term safety ?

Next year very likely I'll use 160GB - or more - disks. And then ?

I would like to have a RAID box with 4-8 hot swappable disks... maybe
connected to the PC with FireWire. What do you think ?

Hints ? Ideas ? What on the horizon ?

Gianni
Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel/Fax   +39-0382-525234 Laboratori
Tel/Fax   +39-0382-526208 Segreteria