Aircraft noise

Subject: Aircraft noise
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 21:10:48 +1000
Walter wrote:

> Out with Lang last year with his ultra quiet setup we were constantly
> bothered by cars on the road, about 4 miles away. And a airplane in any
> part of the sky from horizon to horizon was a problem.

Australia's large spaces with small population means we still have
opportunity for freedom from Man-made noise.  Most of my Albert's Lyrebird
recording areas are like that - for much of the time.  Some are on the main
air route between capital cities but I surmise that frequency of aircraft is
much lower than with major northern hemisphere routes.

I have noticed however, that when a commercial jet flies overhead, the sound
lasts five minutes.  They fly at, what, 600 mph?  So once within say 20
miles, the noise is a problem on a quiet recording.

Syd Curtis in Brisbane, Australia

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:34 2005
Message: 3