Re: Re: Why Modify Crown Audio SASS?

Subject: Re: Re: Why Modify Crown Audio SASS?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 23:14:28 -0400
bbystrek wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Actually, the question I intended to prompt was why the Crown Audio
> design appears to have a sound absorbing block in the middle
> (simulating characteristics of the human head - right???) as opposed
> to something with curved edges towards the front.  My lack of prior
> experience in acoustics has me wondering if a high frequency source
> were to pan across listening area from side to side, would the
> rectangular corners result in any sort of discontinuity where the
> sound would suddenly record as if it rapidly shifted from one side to
> the other?  Just trying to get an understanding of the critical
> design features that make is successful so that I might try building
> one myself.  I agree on all your highlights, an efficient design
> includes consideration given to simplicity in construction and
> fabrication - I think I will measure the "rectangularness" of my head
> some other day though :>.

Look back through the SASS posts late last year, Lang gave a list of
Crown part numbers to get the pieces for everything except the mic
capsules and electronics. You might find it's just as easy to buy the
parts. I was going to duplicate it until then. I may still end up
building to make different designs, but for the straight one I'm using
parts from Crown.

The first two items on Lang's list are the housing and foam baffle. The
rest is the stuff for tripod mounting or handle, and the elastic
windscreen for the housing.

The central foam is very similar to the mic foam "windscreens", and is a
solid block clear through from one side to the other. There is no hard
plastic barrier between the two sides except the front plastic and the
plastic boundary surface ends at the foam. Other than the foam, the SASS
enclosure is hollow, just the outer shell you see.

> I need to read back further than I did on the SASS related posts, I
> don't recall any discussion relative to loud environments.

Read Lang's comments, I believe he gave numbers in some comments. It's
not really given in terms of loud environments, but in mic noise levels.
The two relate in that something built for louder environments can have
a higher mic noise level with no problem.