Thanks for Advice, Microphones and Noise

Subject: Thanks for Advice, Microphones and Noise
From: "bbystrek" <>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 23:55:47 -0000
Thank-you everyone for all of the great advice on acoustics,
microphone performance, and electronic noise.  Now I see why I had
initially figured the key to decent sound quality must have been in
post recording processing to remove noise.  It's reassuring to note
that my AT822 is a factor in quiet situations.

I had a good grin on my face while reading a response poking fun from
the glass half full perspective that the AT822 is very effective for
recording waterfalls, very large leaves blowing in the wind!  It is,
I assure you.  I'm glad to discover that there is a means to improve
the recording quality by carefully selecting the right mics.

It was sort of discouraging the first time I tries to capture
crickets and cicadas a few weeks ago, only to return with way to much
noise - nothing like what I experienced recording a number of
different wetlands and frog/toad species this past spring.  I had to
gently manipulate most of the recordings in the computer, but most
issues were mostly associated with nearly everything everyone
mentioned in their responses to my questions - mic cable twisting in
the breeze, tapping against the tripod, squeaking where it exits the
mic bushing, leaf and insect movement because I recorded to close to
the ground, etc.  It's sure not as easy as it "sounds".  But I'm
having fun, and even with some noise, the recordings still bring back
the experiences better than any photograph.

Technique and equipment mean nothing unto themselves, but no matter
how well crafted the artistic composition of the soundscape,
distracting noise still lessens the listening experience.

Anyway, I'm off to look for a quieter mic.  Presently struggling with
the sticker shock phase!

Brian Bystrek