Re: De-lurking/silence

Subject: Re: De-lurking/silence
From: Paul Dickinson <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:30:58 -0500
>Welcome, and please jump in. People like me are very weak in how to
>properly incorporate natural sound with dialog.  Even the techniques
>of what compliments verses what is interfering is difficult for me to
>determine.

that's a whole thread unto itself.....

>I think many of us would agree that even the current dialogs used in
>species id material is "overly over" and detracts from the recordings.

This is one reason I really love Chris Watson's recordings. He just
lets these little dramas unfold.

>It is great to see another sound person that likes the BWCA.  It is
>an area that I visit about three times per year.  The biomass is low
>compared to about anywhere but the soundscape is very quiet. I hope
>you return for the dead of winter when the snow deads the sound, yet
>a wolf pack will carry for 7 miles.

This was my first time. I'd been to Sylvania (in the U.P. of
Michigan) and Turtle Flambeau (Wisconsin) previously, but there's no
comparison. The week I was in Sylvania, there was an aerobatics
championship taking place at the Watersmeet airport. At Turtle
Flambeau I kept getting invaded by martini barges equipped w/
500-watt subwoofers and screaming kids. So I plan to go back to BWCA
as often as I can.
--
Paul Dickinson
Film/Video Teaching Associate