[SF] Field Effects 5 & QA in LA

Subject: [SF] Field Effects 5 & QA in LA
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 00:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
Due apologies for the cross-posting! If you reply, please don't reply all..

----------[ Quiet American live/broadcast in LA ]---------------------

LA residents, I'm playing a show at "Flor y Canto" on Saturday, July 13,
along with Leticia Castaneda (FE4) and I believe David Kendall. I'll
also be on radio station KSPC for David's "Saturday Music" show...
(http://www.kspc.org/schedule.asp).

----------[ Quiet American presents at 964 Natoma ]--------------------

Field Effects 5: Depth of Field

Friday, July 19th
Doors 8pm, show 8:30pm

964 Natoma, San Francisco, CA USA

$6-10 sliding, no one turned away for lack of funds

----> Event Description <-----------------------------------------------

The world makes music, remember to listen. The world makes images,
remember to watch.

Field Effects 5 offers a night of field recording-based sound and
visual art.

The fifth in a series of concerts showcasing artists using found
materials, Field Effects 5 focuses on work with a visual component:
video, film or slide projection. While we've hosted visual work before,
this is the first Field Effects show devoted entirely to work with a
visual component...

Field Effects 5 features work by Bay Area artists:

   ryan junell (of Sagan)

    Ryan Junell is a San Francisco based designer and videographer.
    He is one third of the bay area concept band "Sagan" featuring
    Blevin Blectum and J Lesser.

    http://www.texasmonkey.com

  keith evans (of silt)

    'birds of the night sky cut images with the tips of their wings.
    opposing clusters mark the bounds; auditive lines for a
    nocturnal survey.'

  gregory cowley (of TEST:)

    Gregory Cowley is a San Francisco based visual artist working in
    electronic projection media and sound in performance settings.
    Since 1997, he has created and performed as the TEST: project,
    an elaborate spectacle that combines the low-tech beauty of
    projected slides with high tech computer control systems.

    'Flow' is a multi-sensory "musical composition" improvised on a
    custom image and sound instrument, to create a "living film."
    The result is a visual representation of a complex system of
    layers of manipulated control nodes.

    http://www.testsite.org
    http://www.transcinema.com

  sk reimers, seth warren, dave d. (downrvvr)

    'The work to be presented consists of approximately 30 minutes of
    field-recorded video, divided into two parts, exploring space &
    movement. It will be accompanied by a live mix of subtly
    manipulated sounds recorded on various metallic sculptures in
    the east bay.'

The Field Effects series showcases artists who are interested in
framing the hidden beauty of the everyday world: beauty on the
surface, awaiting our attention. Beauty that must be delicately
extracted. And beauty in potential, awaiting juxtaposition, collage,
repetition and mutilation.

Seating mostly on futons to encourage comfortable deep listening (and
this time, comfortable viewing!). With luck we'll have some beanbags this
time...

Depending on weather, hot or cold drinks will be available. Depending on
her schedule, Diane might make cookies.

964 Natoma
San Francisco, CA, USA

Between Mission and Howard, 10th and 11th street, south of market.
A few blocks from Civic Center BART. One block from Market & Van Ness.
Bike parking inside.