CoolEdit Noise Reduction

Subject: CoolEdit Noise Reduction
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:49:48 -0700
At 08:17 PM 7/7/2002, Stuart Fairbairn wrote:
>Walter.I use Cool Edit 2000 to edit and reduce unwanted sounds. If I use
>Sound Reduction I get a mass of artifacts, warbles etc.

Be sure you are resetting the "Reduce By" setting to 10dB or less - the
default (which is not changeable) is 40 dB - way too much reduction for
anything we do. If the reduction is under 10 dB the artifacts are generally
negligible.

>I therefore use the
>FFT filter to remove the frequencies below the call and on occasions a
>different setting to remove sounds above. From your comments it seems
>possible to use the noise reduction after using the filter without
>generating the unwanted warbles etc? Is that how you use it?

The cleaner the sample is before noise reduction, the fewer artifacts,
that's true.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA