Re: MD Technology review

Subject: Re: MD Technology review
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:41:31 -0700
WALTER
>  > >What you are also saying is that a DAT recorded original transferred to
>>  >CD is changed by the process. I would agree, everything we do changes
>>  >the signal some. Even simple digital transfers are not 100% accurate.
>  > >That's why there are error correction routines in the software.

DAN
>  > Not so. Simple digital transfers (like CD or DAT into DAW, or
>>  vice-versa) are normally perfect, that is, bit-for-bit identical
>>  files are produced. When a DAT tape or CD is being played, it's
>>  normal for error correction to reconstruct data that can't be read.
>>  But that correction results in just that--correction of the read
>>  errors, and the output of the player is the original data unless
>>  gross errors bring the process up past the threshold of correction
>>  into the region of error concealment.

WALTER
>You and my son, who's a programmer, can haggle over it. That came more
>or less straight from him. He says error correction does not do it
>perfect. It's a fairly minor change, if any, to my mind.

Ask him about the difference between error correction and error
concealment. I have recorded a file to DAT, read it back into my
workstation and verified that it was bit-perfect. I have cut a file
onto a CDR, read it back into the workstation, and verified that it
was bit-perfect. QED.

-Dan Dugan