Re: MD Technology review

Subject: Re: MD Technology review
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 20:41:34 -0700
Walter, you wrote,

>I believe what you are finding is something I've noted in the past.
>ATRAC, from some recorders, particularly versions pre 4.5 would show a
>loss of the quietest sounds above 16kHz when looked at on sonograms.
>These are sounds that are 50 dB or more down from the main sounds of the
>recording at those frequencies when I've taken the trouble to work it
>out carefully from the sonograms. As I've noted, unless your equipment
>is top notch, these tend to be a large part the noise being produced by
>mics, pre's and such like, or unwanted wind noise. And, thus, for those
>who have less top notch equipment or recording conditions, this may
>actually help.
>
>And I'm not sure if the above is ATRAC or something else connected with
>particular MD recorder models, or maybe found in other digital methods,
>including some "uncompressed" recorders. And lack the interest to chase
>it down much more.

I monitor my nature recordings with an analyzer, and I've noticed a
quite visible (though not audible to my ears) high frequency cut-off
around 16K. It seems to slide up at lower levels and down a little at
higher levels, though it only moves over 1/3 octave or so.

I had expected that this low-pass effect would have been sufficient
for my sharp-eared intern to pick up in the blind comparison, but it
didn't happen.

Does anybody know what version ATRAC is in the Sharp MD-MT90? I play
back on a Sony MDS-JE520.

-Dan Dugan