Re: Minidisc Recording Problem

Subject: Re: Minidisc Recording Problem
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
> > many people here on the list use Cool Edit I think.

> Have you used Cool Edit? I am interested if you could compare the two
> programs?

Hi John,

I used CoolEdit briefly a few years ago, but I'm not up to speed (haven't
used!) the current versions -- I think Walter Knapp is a big proponent
though, I'm sure he'll chime in to recap some favorite features...

Samplitude is geared to be a full audio editing/mastering/production
environment -- it's used by a lot of people to do real-time multitrack
recording and editing. The users' groupd at alt.sekd is a fantastic
resource -- David Lewiston is the most prominent field recordists I know
who uses the program.

Since it's more than a WAV editor it has a larger footprint for sure than
more task-specific editors -- but it does contain many tools for working
with individual recordings, e.g. a wide range of analysis tools, real-time
FFT, parametric EQs, multi-band dynamics, a declicker, noise reduction
utilities, etc.

I was originally attracted to it by reports that its mixing engine was the
best-of-breed for PC-based, "host based" applications -- among other
things I know it maintains phase coherence for all its internal
processing, which is by default always done entirely in a 32-bit space
(even when working with 16-bit source files).  FWIW I find its mixer very
transparent.

I do all of my composition (from field recordings) in its tracking window,
which is quite powerful -- a bit far afield (so to speak) from what most
people on this list are interested in, but perhaps of use constructing
prototypical or Platonic ideals of particular environments... :)

For more information, www.samplitude.com (in English) or .de (in German)
is a fine place to start... and you can get a free 90-day version there!

Best regards,
aaron

PS Much of this might now be true of CE too -- my impression is that it
and most other tools we might have heard of have all gotten quite good
over the last few years!

  http://www.quietamerican.org