Re: casssette vs. MD

Subject: Re: casssette vs. MD
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:15:43 +0100
I fully agree with you Walt, although from our perspective it's not that
we are unwilling to continue manfuacturing portable cassette products, but
that it's becoming harder to find factories willing to build them. Even MD
for many of the professional audio manufacturers is not really seen as
having that long a shelf life; the mechanisms are difficult to manufacture
and service, ATRAC compression is a problem in several professional
recording fiedls, and in terms of our digital roadmap, solid state is a
much better fit with where the rest of recording technologies are going (
networking, fast transfer times via USB, Firewire etc. ). I think in the
next year or so you will see a significant decrease in prices of solid
state recorders and media, making it a much more affordable option.

Matt Jarvis
Product Marketing Manager
Marantz Professional Europe
Kingsbridge House, Padbury Oaks, 575-583 Bath Road, Longford, Middx, UB7
0EH, United Kingdom
+447796610410 - Mobile
+441753686080 - UK Office
+441753686020 - Fax

Walter Knapp <>
2002-07-05 19:13
Please respond to naturerecordists

        cc:     (bcc: Matt Jarvis/LGD/CE/PHILIPS)