Nagra V

Subject: Nagra V
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:11:12 -0700
Monty Brigham, you asked

>How much does it cost?

Basic, $6500 list. With timecode, LI battery pack, AC supply, soft
case & strap, $9500.

-Dan

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:30 2005
Message: 8
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:52:45 -0700
From: Dan Dugan <>
Subject: Re: ATRAC compression

Roger Boughton, you wrote,

>The Nagra V does not use removable hard discs, it uses the
>proprietry Orb Disc as a storage medium.

Sorry, I should have been more specific (I'm a Nagra dealer). The Orb
is a hard drive with a removable platter, 2G for about $30. The idea
is that it costs about the same as reel-to-reel tape to archive.

>By the way I think your 99% is a bit high.

I hope you're right. My Nagra repair service has about dried up. In
the past 20 years I've seen over 350 machines, but I can count the
customers currently using them on one hand.

>Also I have now been using the V for the last few months and the
>whole machine is working impecably.  And before anybody says it so
>it should !!

I'm pleased to hear that. Everybody agrees the Orb is the weak link
(Will it survive bad environments? Will it remain available in a few
years?) and only experience will tell.

-Dan Dugan