Re: Saving File

Subject: Re: Saving File
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:16:31 -0700
At 08:57 AM 7/3/2002, Tom wrote:
>If I use this format do I save it at 41,000 HZ and 8 Bit.
>
>Tom
>
>Jim Morgan wrote:
>
> >  Tom - What I use is the "Windows PCM(*.wav)" format
> >
> > Jim

You need to save it as a 16-bit file with a sampling rate equal to or
greater than twice the highest frequency you want to save. You can usually
be safe saving at 22,050/16 for most purposes. If storage space is a
consideration, or if you are using the files on the web, you may want to
keep the file size down by using lower sampling rates, but again, never
lower than twice the highest frequency you want preserved. Reducing
resolution to 8-bit usually introduces too much noise, and should only be
used if there are very strict file size requirements. Your editing should
generally be performed at the highest possible sampling rate and resolution
- I use 44,100 Hz / 32-bit for all editing prior to the final edit.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator