Re: Mic cables and mic impedance

Subject: Re: Mic cables and mic impedance
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 21:08:20 -0400
Syd Curtis wrote:

> And lyrebird habitat is generally such dense forest that 50 metres of cable
> is all I need to use.

There is another alternative to cable, much more expensive. That's to go
with wireless setups. These used to be not all that great in sound
quality, but that may be changing. Sennheiser, for instance has one that
transmits digitally at CD quality (44k 16 bit), and is rated at a signal
to noise of 100dB. I've been accumulating the stuff to test this out and
have most everything on hand for two channel digital stereo
transmission, bought piecemeal off Ebay. Part of the problem being that
in addition to the transmitter and receiver for each channel, you have
to deal with power. The mics I'll probably use are mostly phantom
powered, so I managed to get Sennheiser phantom power battery units to
put out with the mics. Eventually when I can find the time and get it
all running I'll see how it does. It may be especially useful with the
SASS setup I'm working on.

This setup is rated enough range for the Lyrebirds, but I don't know how
well it transmits through dense forest. Something else to find out. It's
rating is 280 feet line of sight, or down to 80-130 feet under "adverse
conditions". Reports I've read indicate it may do better.

If it works well, I could put a radio control switch setup for power out
with it to keep batteries happy. Run that off a small R/C model
transmitter setup. For overnighting this or larger batteries would be
necessary, it's rated 5 hours for the transmitter on one 9 volt battery.

I'm looking at this primarily as a means to set something up out in the
swamp and record on dry land. Or even set it up, then record from bed
when camping out. And primarily for less directional mics.