Re: Re:Mic cables and mic impedance

Subject: Re: Re:Mic cables and mic impedance
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 20:37:00 -0400
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Finally: Walt - you recommended somewhere NOT to digitally maximize every
> recording. I definitelly agree! A series of edited wildlife sounds must
> "harmonize" with oneanother, not be as loud and even as possible! When I
> hear a "normalized" Nightingale next to a recording of a "normalized" bumble
> bee, (or frog??) the listening becomes very unpleasant.

There is another sin that's quite common. This is in how folks set
record levels. Some dope out a setting that will work through the
recording and some ride the level setting through the recording. In
either case these are each a form of normalizing.

I find riding the level during the recording a bit worse, as the sound
we would hear did not ride up and down like that. I can clearly hear
that in the background sound level.

I use a preset level, and generally don't even reset it between sites.
In other words it's a level that works generally for the average sites I
go to. If I'm having to dig out a faint call I may tolerate cranking it
up for that recording. I realize that I really set my recording by the
level of the background noise more than the foreground calls.

I do some level adjustment as the aim of the Telinga, or where I locate
myself to record are also forms of adjustment.

Anyway, if our aim is to reproduce the sound environments as they are
heard, the task is more complicated. Some environments are very quiet
and some very noisy, and everything in between.