Re: HHb PoratDisc & Telinga Problems

Subject: Re: HHb PoratDisc & Telinga Problems
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 23:54:50 -0400
casadakota wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Last week I sold my HHb,  and Telinga, to a fellow who lives 350
> miles away from me.  Today he telephoned and said that The
> PortaDisc will not hold power, even after he replaced the
> batteries. Also, he said that the power switch seems loose.
> This HHb was one of the first sold in this country, and I never up-
> dated the software.  Do these symptoms ring a bell with anyone.
> I sure would appreciate any thoughts..... that you would have the
> time to share.

My portadisc is out of the first shipment to arrive in the US. It has
had no problems including this one. And I've not been able to part with
it long enough to have it updated. I'm watching reports on the updates
and planning to do it this fall.

Be sure and verify how long he expects it to hold power. I've had folks
complain to me when their Portadisc was more than meeting specs. They
are only rated for 3 1/2 hours play or 3 hours record on the original
size NIMH batteries fully charged. They actually do a little better. And
he should be using NIMH high capacity AA's, at least 1600 mAh ones.
Things like Alkalines or Nicads will do much worse. The included charger
is a slow charger, as much as 14 hours to full charge.

Assuming the power switch is actually loose it's possible it's got some
shipping damage. The power switch is well protected.

Note that rechargable batteries do have a finite life. It's fairly long
for NIMH batteries, but I've occasionally had one fail early. Even one
failed battery out of 8 would really shoot it down. He should check the
polarity of all batteries. If he's charged one reversed it's likely it
might be damaged.

About all I can think of.