RE: Elephants and low frequency sound communi cation

Subject: RE: Elephants and low frequency sound communi cation
From: "Ranft, Richard" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:04:01 +0100
I have read bits of Katy Payne's. It has almost no information on techniques
and equipment.  For this you must read the original research papers, e.g.:
Langbauer, W. R. (1993). Elephant infrasound: integrating zoo and field
studies. AAZPA (Am. Assoc Zool Parks Aquariums) Reg Conf Proc.
Ben-Ari, E. T. (1999). "A throbbing in the air: The discovery of infrasonic
communication among elephants has given researchers a whole new way of
hearing things. Bioscience, 49, 353-359." .
Payne, K. B., W. R. J. Langbauer, et al. (1986). "Infrasonic calls of the
asian elephant (elephas maximus)." Behav Ecol Sociobiol 18: 297-301.

The following is a useful review of technical info.:
Pye, J. D. (1998). Ultrasound and infrasound. pp 221-249 in Hopp, Owren et
al, eds. Animal acoustic communication: sound analysis and research methods.
Berlin, Springer-Verlag:

---------
Richard Ranft
Curator, NSA Wildlife Section,
The British Library,
National Sound Archive,
96 Euston Road,
London NWI 2DB, UK.

email:
voice: +44 (0)20-7412-7402/3
fax:   +44 (0)20-7412-7441
New WWW pages with fully-searchable on-line catalogue at:
http://www.bl.uk/nsa

legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify
the  : The contents of this e-mail must not be
disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British
Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for
the views of the author.