Re: Dawn chorus

Subject: Re: Dawn chorus
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:32:28 -0400
Hello Fernando:

At 11:08 AM 4/17/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Recordist Group.
>I have came back from a trip to Chiapas, Mexico. I was recording and takin=
>note on biology of some bird species, especially the Horned Guan. During t=
wo
>week i visited three different biosphere reserve: El Triunfo (Cloud Forest=
),
>La Sepultura (Tropical decidous forest) and The Encrucijada (Mangrove,
>acuatic vegetation, lagoons, esteros, beach, sea). . . . . .

I am very pleased that you are back, and that many of your research plans
and personal hopes were so well fulfilled.  The chances I have had to enjoy=

recording in true cloud forests have been very few, and it is frequently so=

darn cloudy, rainy and windy (joke, of course).

But, seriously, the bird recording conditions can be terrible.   My two
attempts at dawn choruses (Jamaica and Costa Rica) were all just sounds of=

wind and tree branches clattering and creaking and faint high-pitched
squeeks (Ruddy Treerunners, Friend of Man, etc.)

I do envy your visiting the mountains of Chiapas; in the USA we hear, from=

time to time in the news, reports that it is not very safe for Americans
travelling there, but you obviously know your country much better than
either the news or me.  I would love to hear any details, also.   Welcome
back, y Saludos!

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.