Dawn chorus

Subject: Dawn chorus
From: Fernando Gonz=E1lez-Garc=EDa <>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:08:18 -0500
Hi Recordist Group.
I have came back from a trip to Chiapas, Mexico. I was recording and taking
note on biology of some bird species, especially the Horned Guan. During tw=
week i visited three different biosphere reserve: El Triunfo (Cloud Forest)=
,
La Sepultura (Tropical decidous forest) and The Encrucijada (Mangrove,
acuatic vegetation, lagoons, esteros, beach, sea). I have a special interes=
in the El Triunfo biosphere reserve, because there i have been working with
the natural history and ecology of the Horned Guan for several years. In
this same place live another especies like Highland Guan, Quetzals
(Pharomachrus mocinno), Singing Quail, Fulvuous Owl, Wine-throated
Hummingbird, Blue throated Motmot, Black throated Jay, Unicolored Jay, etc.
etc.  This time my goal was to record in the El Triunfo the most calls of
the Horned Guan and Highland Guan and I got good results. I had the
opportunity to record some dawn chorus, some recording are around 45
minutes. So, i have enough material for the next dawn chorus CD. I would
like to collaborate in that project. Any news about snippets time?.
In the Sepultura biosphere reserve live two imporant endemic species like
Orange-breasted Bunting and Rosita=B4s Bunting. I can watching them but i c=
an
not recording them. That=B4s was very sad, but it will be in the next trip.
In the last reserve, La Encrucijada, which is the Chiapas coast, near from
Tapachula, i can record to White-bellied Chachalaca, Rufous-naped Wren and
other birds species from mangrove and other acuatic habitat . One thing ver=
interesting in this reserve are the mangrove height. They are 30-40 meter
high.
Saludos a todos y a todas
Hasta pronto.
Fernando Gonz=E1lez-Garc=EDa
Departamento de Ecolog=EDa y Comportamiento Animal
Instituto de Ecologia, A. C.
Apartado Postal 63
Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
91000
Tel: (28) 421843; (28) 421800 x 4110, 4111, 4112
Fax: (28) 187809
email:
email:
website: www.ecologia.edu.mx