Re: Re: CVX tests

Subject: Re: Re: CVX tests
From: "Simon Squire" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:32:19 -0600
Hi Walt

You wrote
> How would you compare it's sensitivity to, say, a MKH 20? The MKH 20
> being a omni can also pick up from 360 degrees. Also, how would it's
> inherent noise compare? The panasonic capsule used is not that good
> compared to a MKH 20. So how much does the design compensate for that?

We have not compared directly with many mics, but those we have were ( in
our opinion) no match for the CVX. The Neumann RSM 191 A-S shotgun was one
we compared directly, using a stable noise source. The test had to be
limited to 150 meters because the shotgun mic dreopped off so fast at that
point. The CVX still had lots of range. In fact Dr Hamilton Greenwood has
identified marshland birds from 3 km range with the CVX, this was an early
morning recording time.

Noise measurements in the anacroic chamber showed the Panasonic element had
1% THD when it was out of the CVX. As soon as we put the same element in the
CVX housing the THD dropped to 0.1%. Why this happens has not been
investigated yet, due to limited chamber time, and money etc.

> Note that even with the Telinga, which is only a 20" parabolic I can
> record barking treefrogs as far as a mile away. Could this mic do that?
> I notice that the reference you gave they seem not to have tested the
> mic at greater than 150 meter distances. I very often record at much
> greater distances.
>
> How does the stereo field compare to binaural fields?
>
> I'm primarily staying with stereo for now, and not that interested in
> mono. So am particularily interested in the stereo possibilities.
>
> Walt

You will be interested in our stereo version which is currently in
development. The first prototype is working very well, with less noise and
very good stereo separation. No numbers yet though. This will not be as
rugged as the original CVX, but will be very light, and stereo, with similar
performance. Also we have been in contact with Cornell, because they want to
compare the CVX with current mics. They do not have one yet though, so Doug
can be the "comparator" for now if he wants.

I will guarantee you have never heard anything like the CVX, or your money
back. ( I'm starting to sound like a salesman, yuk, I'm a tech, give me my
soldering iron...)

Simon