Re: Phantom Power

Subject: Re: Phantom Power
From: "richpeet" <>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 16:01:48 -0000
--- In   wrote:
> Dear Field Recordists,
>
> I recently started using a new setup. It consists of a Sony MZ R37
Minidisc
> recorder and a portable recorder interface with 48V phantom power.
I use a
> Sennheiser ME short shotgun mic and a Telinga dish with Sennheiser
ME 62
> omni. I have some questions about all this. Firstly, since the mics
I am
> using have power supplies I do not need the phantom supply on the
interface
> right?

I assume what you are saying is the K6 you are using are the units
with the battery. There is more than one powering option to the ME62
and ME66. But usually, with the normal configuration the answer is
yes you don't need the 48 volt phantom.

>If I do use it with the powered mics will it hurt anything, help
> anything? Will the setup I'm using produce adequate field
recordings of
> birds? By adequate I mean good enough to put on CD or cassette for
others to
> listen to.

Yes to all of the above.

>I'm using mono mode to do single species. I would eventually like
> to do some ambient nature recordings. What stereo setup would work
best for
> the least amount of money but still produce sufficient gain
recordings?

See prior posts on my stereo foam block barrier that I use a pair of
me 62's in.  Or see Lang's Sass posts. Both have good details.

If
> using mics that require a phantom power supply are less expensive
then I
> would prefer to go with that.

They are not. In general they are more expensive but it really is a
thing of configuration and use vs quality. 48 volt phantom is used
because it is a high enough voltage not to have connection and line
loss problems on long runs. Kinda like the difference in the old 6
volt cars vs the current 12 volt cars we have now and the new
upcomming 24 volt models.