[OT][For sale] DAT equipment

Subject: [OT][For sale] DAT equipment
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:11:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

I'm forwarded this message from Kyle Minor, who discovered that I use a
similar set up from my site (I don't know him personally).

I can attest to the quality of the microphones, as they are the same model
that I record with almost exclusively. (I also have a micro-DAT portable
PCM-M1 modified to match the mics and am quite pleased with it;  however,
as I mostly record on MD myself, it doesn't get used very often.)

The mics are head-worn, quasi-binaural (modified) omni mics. The S series
(such as these) are closely matched for a more exact, sharp stereo image.
They strike a balance between true in-ear binaural recording and
conventional stereo.  While the stereo image is quite vivid and deep --
that "wow" 3d effect -- with headphones, you will also find recordings
sound remarkably good over conventional speakers. These mics are very
forgiving for the beginning recordist, and very stealthy (and light) if
that interests you.

Note: since they're basically omni mics, they are best used for recording
ambiance or environment; they are not the best choice for applications
requiring directional recording (e.g., bird recording).

For extensive samples of recordings made with a setup of this kind, please
visit my site. For more information about the mics, modification, and
power pack, visit www.sonicstudios.com, where you can also get pricing on
much of this gear new.

Best regards,
aaron