Phantom Power

Subject: Phantom Power
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:23:41 EST
Dear Field Recordists,

I recently started using a new setup. It consists of a Sony MZ R37 Minidisc
recorder and a portable recorder interface with 48V phantom power. I use a
Sennheiser ME short shotgun mic and a Telinga dish with Sennheiser ME 62
omni. I have some questions about all this. Firstly, since the mics I am
using have power supplies I do not need the phantom supply on the interface
right? If I do use it with the powered mics will it hurt anything, help
anything? Will the setup I'm using produce adequate field recordings of
birds? By adequate I mean good enough to put on CD or cassette for others to
listen to. I'm using mono mode to do single species. I would eventually like
to do some ambient nature recordings. What stereo setup would work best for
the least amount of money but still produce sufficient gain recordings? If
using mics that require a phantom power supply are less expensive then I
would prefer to go with that.

Thanks,

Tom Damiani
PO Box 1728